Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Insanity


On Tuesday, July 21st, we got an offer on our house! Friday, I started looking at houses with my real estate agent. Saturday morning was Alyssa’s TriDac showcase mentioned in an earlier post. For the rest of the day I had plans at an all-day crop so Dean went house hunting with Elizabeth (the real estate agent). On Sunday we both went with her. After walking into the same house for the third time, Dean and I agreed this was it! So, on Monday, less than a week from the offer on our house, WE made an offer! The reason why we were moving so quickly is that our buyers wanted a closing date of August 21st. This was too early for us so we pushed it back to Aug. 31st which was still WAY close because of the timing. We had already scheduled a 9 day trip to CT leaving Aug. 1st so we needed to get everything in motion before we left. By the way, here is a picture of our new house (assuming everything goes according to plan, LORD WILLING!)

The trip to Connecticut, while fun in some respects, was really rough. It was very difficult to leave at that time with everything going on with both houses, getting inspections, etc. Plus, it was hard for Dean to leave work for so long. He spent most of the visit either on the phone with work, on the phone with Elizabeth, or dealing with other issues. However, here is a report of the good stuff:

When we left home on Saturday, we went straight to Raleigh, NC to spend the night at my parents. We hadn’t seen them in about 6 months so it was nice to be able to spend the afternoon with them. We also finally got to see my nephew Oscar! I hadn't seen him since he was born (6 months ago), and Dean and the kids had never met him! Roan was especially enamored.

We left early Sunday morning to go to Washington D.C. We wanted as much time as possible. We drove up past D.C. near to where our hotel would be and took the train back into the city. The kids loved it! This was their first time on a train. It was raining at first, but had stopped by the time we arrived at the Smithsonian.

That was actually pretty cool. The weather forecasted rain all afternoon. We fully expected to be walking around soaking wet. We seriously considered doing D.C. on the way back instead. But we decided to stick it out and once we got off the train, we never had any more rain! It was a God thing.
We went straight to the Air & Space Museum.

We knew there was a food court there and wanted to eat first. After lunch, and spending some time in that museum, we walked across the mall to the Museum of Natural History. We enjoyed looking at the dinasaurs, the ocean, mammals, the jewelry (especially the Hope Diamond!), and other precious rocks.After that, Alyssa and I sat on a bench for a while on the mall while Dean and the boys went into the Museum of American History. Alyssa wasn’t feeling very well this day, so she isn’t in many pictures, but she was a real trooper. I enjoyed the time we spent alone together. When the boys came out, we decided to walk to the Lincoln Memorial before going back to the hotel. Roan had been REALLY looking for the seeing Abe Lincoln. I think this was my favorite part of the day! It was a very pleasant walk. Even though it didn’t rain, it was still overcast much of the afternoon, so it wasn’t even too terribly hot. I really enjoyed taking pictures, too! We finally got back on the train. We didn’t get into the hotel until about 9:30 and we hadn’t eaten yet! So, I took the kids to the indoor pool for a quick swim while Dean tracked down a McDonald’s and brought back dinner.

Monday, we set out for Connecticut. We stopped for breakfast at McDonald’s. The kids and I ate inside while Dean was on a business phone call in the van. No rest for the weary! We actually made surprisingly good time. The kids and I spent the next few days hanging out with Grandma and Aunt Edie and cousins Richie, Ashley, and Evan (another cousin we've not had the chance to meet. He is 1 1/2 years old, such a cutie), while Dean spent most of his time as mentioned above. On Friday, our last day there, we all (12 of us) took the train into New York City. Again, the kids loved the train and subways. They were very impressed with Grand Central Station. When Roan first walked out into Times Square, he looked up at the huge buildings and said, "Wow! I never knew New York was so awesome!" He loved all the tall building, lights, and crowds of people in Times Square.
First thing we did after arriving was eat lunch at Tony’s. It was really good. Then we walked around the corner to visit the three story Toys R Us. The kids loved looking at the huge Legos section, the Star War’s section and the life sized animatronics dinosaur from Jurassic Park! Then they all enjoyed riding in the 3-story FERRIS WHEEL that was in the middle of the store! When we left Uncle Richard showed us where the New Year Ball drops. We all thought that was very cool. After that, we got back on the subway and went to the American Museum of Natural History. This was the museum featured in the 'Night at the Museum' movie, so the kids were really looking forward to it. We spent most of our time on the 4th floor looking at the dinosaurs and in the gift shop. The kids had brought their own spending money, so there was NO passing up the gift shop! After the museum, we went to dinner at Uno’s nearby. While waiting for the food, Dean and I ran over to Central Park because I had never been there before and wanted to see it since we were only ONE BLOCK AWAY. I hate that we didn’t get to take the kids there. Alyssa was particularly disappointed but displayed a very good attitude about it. If I’d realized, I would have taken her when Dean and I went. But we were only gone 10 minutes. She didn’t miss much. We’ll just have to go back someday! After dinner, we made our way back to the subway, and took the train back to CT. Saturday morning, we stopped to say goodbye to the cousins, then headed back home. We encountered some horrible traffic in New Jersey and by the time we got to our hotel that night we were pretty stressed. But we had a great hotel! The indoor pool had a hot tub and BOY were we ready for that! That hotel really helped us decompress and the rest of the drive home the next day was much better. We even made it home in time for our small group’s Fun, Food, and Fellowship night! We were VERY glad to be home!

Since then it’s been all about getting ready for school. I’ve had to enroll 2 of the kids in new schools because our new house changes our school zone. But, finally that’s behind me. Today is the first day of school! Just over a week now until the move. Boy, have we got a lot to do! I’d better get back to work…..

Roan Quote: After arriving home from a trip to CT, I said to Roan, “Well, we’re back in the South. Can you feel the heat?” He said, “Yes. I do indeed feel the heat.”


Anonymous said...

The Hope Diamond reminds me of the Movie Titanic Angie. AWESOME NEW HOUSE FOR AN AWESOME FAMILY.

Andrea said...

Yay for the house! And the trip! And school! And man oh man that 1st Wash Monument pic is amazing!